You: Your Privacy
Show Kids You Care promises that we will follow the ten principles of privacy as outlined according to the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.
The ten principles are:
2. Identifying Purpose: We collect personal information so that we can mail gift acknowledgements to donors. Throughout the year we also send regular mailings and updates to individual and corporate donors. We occasionally trade a donor’s name and address with other organizations. All donors are given the option to be removed from our trade list before we ever trade their name and address information.
3. Obtain Consent: We obtain consent to send gift acknowledgements to our donors at the time that the donation is made. We collect name and contact information from the individual making the donation.
4. Limit Collection: We limit the collection of personal information to include information that is necessary for issuing gift acknowledgements, and contacting the donor (e.g. Phone and email address).
5. Limit Use: We retain personal information about donors for 10 years from the last donation date. After this time we destroy the records that have been kept. Personal information is disclosed only when asked for by the individual, power of attorney, or immediate family member acting on behalf of the individual.
6. Be Accurate: We make every effort to record personal information accurately. We verify addresses and postal codes with address verification software. Donors may contact us at any time to update their personal information.
7. Use Appropriate Safeguards: We store all personal information securely in locked offices, and is accessible only through password-restricted software.
9. Give Individuals Access: We promptly reply to all inquiries about personal information. When discussing personal information with a donor, we explain all acronyms and codes we use to identify specific elements about an individual within our office.